We only ride in open areas with good visibility at a pace that is suitable for the ability of the group.
For those guests wanting to enjoy a Plains Riding experience, riders can enjoy a gentle 90 minute to 2 hour horseback ride exploring the surrounding, open plains whilst viewing plains game such as Zebra, Eland, Thomson Gazelle, Wildebeest, Giraffe and Warthog.
Ride pace will depend on the ability of the group and riders of an Intermediate and above level can enjoy upto a 2 hour ride in the morning or afternoon. Ride pace is moderate with the opportunity for some faster paced canters depending on the groups ability. Expect to negotiate river and ravine crossings.
Due to the nature of the area, riders need to have some previous experience and be able to mount, dismount, stop and turn their horse and control their horse at a walk and trot.
Due to the environment and terrain we ride in as well as for guest’s safety we can only take competent riders who are able to ride with an independent seat at all paces and are able to control a horse at speed over uneven terrain should we need to ride out of a situation.
Guests are required to fill out our riding questionnaire when making their booking which will enable us to select the best horse for them from our stables. The Equestrian Managers at Ride Kenya – Mara cannot allow a booking (provisional or confirmed) for any horse-related activities unless a fully completed form is returned by each guest prior to arrival.
Once at the property, all riders will be required to have a short assessment ride prior to setting out.
The Horse Manager selects a suitable horse for each guest based on the rider’s height, weight, age, ability and riding style and the horses that are available for guests at the time.
It is a condition of Great Plains Conservation that all horse riders sign an Equestrian Indemnity prior to ‘mounting up’. Riding is at our discretion and we reserve the right to restrict riding activities based on rider competence levels.
HORSE TYPE / BREED
- All our horses are imported from South Africa. All male herd of geldings and stallions. Breeds include Friesian and Friesian crosses, Shire crosses, Boerperds and Boerperd crosses, Arab crosses and Thoroughbreds
NUMBER OF HORSES
- From 15hh to 17hh
- English trained and gaits i.e. our horses do not lope or jog;
- Well schooled and experienced safari horses.
- Good quality all leather tack is used;
- Our horses are ridden in English bridles and bits;
- We offer English, Trail or Western saddles.
- All riders will be required to have a short assessment to ensure they are comfortable with their horses and equipment
- We respectfully request no riders over 95kg
- For safety reasons we have an age limit of 14. We are happy to discuss riding options for children aged 12 to 14 who have suitable riding experience. Children under 15 must be accompanied by a riding parent or guardian. Regretfully we cannot offer any riding to children under 12 years.
GUEST RIDING EQUIPMENT
- We have a range of riding helmets, riding boots, breeches and chaps
- All rides are led by at least one qualified and experienced equestrian guide and one backup guide
IMPORTANT NOTE APPLICABLE TO ALL RIDING ACTIVITIES AND RESERVATIONS OFFERED BY RIDE KENYA
$250 per rider for either their morning or afternoon riding experience.
RIDE KENYA – MARA RESERVATIONS
All outrides need to be confirmed prior to arrival and reservations can be made with
- Martin Dodwell – firstname.lastname@example.org | +254 79 812 9987
- Alison Mundy – email@example.com | +25479 806 9954