The Standard terms and Conditions for Booking with for Great Plains Conservation are as follows:
1. Bookings are accepted on the condition that guests have their own comprehensive travel insurance cover; (please refer to point 25 below).
2. How to Book: Please fill out the reservation form received from your travel agent and send it with a deposit of 20% of the total accommodation costs. On receipt of your signed reservation form and deposit, we will, subject to availability, confirm your request as per your enquiry. Upon issue of our confirmation invoice, your booking is confirmed and accepted by us.
3. Bookings are confirmed upon receipt of a 20% deposit of the quoted reservation cost.
4. The balance is payable in full 45 days prior to arrival date.
a) More than 16 weeks prior to arrival, the deposit will be returned – nett of any bank charges;
b) Between 16 & 8 weeks prior to arrival – the deposit will be forfeited;
c) Between 8 & 4 weeks prior to arrival – 50% of the full value of the reservation will be forfeited;
d) Less than 4 weeks prior to arrival and No Shows – 95% of the full value of the reservation is forfeited.
6. Cancellations are only effective on receipt of written notification and applicable to the scale of cancellations in point 5. Should a guest fail to join a safari or join it after departure or leave it prior to its completion, no refund can be made. For any change in itinerary by guests whilst on safari, there will be no refund for any services not utilised, and all new arrangements will be for the guests account.
7. Change a Booking: After the booking has been confirmed, should the guest wish to change to an alternative departure date, we may, at our discretion, charge a change fee of US$25 per person. Normal cancellation fees apply for postponing departure plus the US$25 per person.
8. Payment terms: All prices are quoted NETT and exclude any financial transaction charges. Please note that you are responsible for the cost of any bank charges incurred in any of the payment processes. All payments must be made in the currency in which the quotation was accepted, or in which the invoice is made out. All payments should be made through Electronic or Telegraphic Bank transfer – TT. Cheque payments are not accepted.
Confirmation of payment with the SWIFT code and the relevant Reservation Number, is required by Great Plains Conservation and must be e-mailed or faxed to:
Great Plains Payments Department:
Tel: +267 (0) 6864001
Fax: +267 (0) 6863043
Please ensure you send notification to our Payments Department, as without this information we will not be able to credit the account/booking, and the account/booking will continue to show as unpaid in our records and on your statements. This in turn might cause delays in confirming the booking, and you will be required to re-send the proof of payment with the necessary details. Please ensure that the relevant Reservation Number is quoted on any correspondence pertaining to a booking or a payment, to ensure that the Payments Department can allocate the money correctly.
Should a payment be made by a credit card for Botswana, please note the following: Amounts taken off the Credit Card are in Botswana Pula at the Bank’s rate of exchange and rate of exchange fluctuations, are beyond our control. Depending on what currency your credit card is issued in, there can be further rate of exchange discrepancies, and we strongly suggest that if you want to avoid this, you arrange for a bank transfer.
9. We reserve the right to review published rates in the event of currency exchange rate fluctuation, increases in costs or taxes, which are beyond our control. Specifically, flights costs are subject to change with fuel surcharge.
10. Room / Tent check out time is 10:00 am on the day of departure and check in is 14:00 pm on day of arrival. Late departures can be arranged in Kenya at an additional charge in our Green and Shoulder Season dependent upon availability. Regrettably no late departures in Botswana.
11. Liability: In the event that Great Plains books third party properties on behalf of the guest, these bookings are accepted on the specific condition that Great Plains Conservation acts only as the reservations office for the third party properties, and assumes no liability whatsoever for any injury, damage, loss, accident or delay to person or property.
12. Baggage restrictions: For safety and because space is restricted on aircraft, baggage in charter aircraft is restricted to a maximum of:
a) 20kg per person in a soft bag in Botswana; and
b) 15 kg per person in a soft bag in Kenya.
This includes camera equipment and carry-on baggage. Should guests arrive with excess baggage without prior warning, their baggage could be delayed, and such baggage may have to be flown into camp at a later stage at considerable extra cost to the guest. However, should the guest know in advance that the baggage will exceed the limit an extra seat can be booked for the bags on the aircraft at an additional cost.
13. Wild Animals and the wilds: Please be aware that these safaris may take guests into close contact with wild animals. Attacks by wild animals are rare, but no safari into the African wilderness can guarantee that this will not occur. Neither the company, nor their employees, nor agents can be held responsible for any injury or incident on the safari. Please note that all our camps are unfenced. Please also note that these safaris will take you over dirt tracks and across remote plains in some of the most remote parts of Africa. If this is not what you are after, then there are many more civilized parts of the world that are more suited to your travel.
14. Age Limits:
a) We welcome children on our safaris in Botswana and Kenya when sharing with up to two adults in a tent.
b) At Zarafa, Selinda Canoe Trails, Mara Plains, and Mara Toto, children are welcome from 8 years.
c) At Selinda we have a family room that has two bedrooms under one roof, which is perfect for families.
d) At ol Donyo Lodge children are welcome from the age of 5. We have family rooms that have two bedrooms and a separate lounge under one roof. These rooms are perfect for families. Please book one of these for your family.
e) All families with children under 12 are required to book a private vehicle at the time of reservation. The private vehicle facility will allow families to enjoy their own routine in the lodge and on game drives without worrying about disturbing other guests.
f) Children are welcome from the age of 8 on the Selinda Canoe Trails, however, the family will be required to book a private group to allow the guide and crew to adjust the daily mileage to suit the family’s needs.
15. Private Vehicles: Guests who enjoy privacy and their own routine while on their game drives will be able to hire a private vehicle and guide at an additional cost per day per vehicle and guide. This is on a first come first served basis and must be booked in advance and is subject to availability of the extra guide and vehicle.
16. Health: Please consult your doctor for specific advice in relation to malaria medication. If you are a contagious-disease carrier, you must let us know when booking your safari.
17. Not Included in your tariff: The cost of getting to our camps and intercamp air transfers; Compulsory insurance to cover for cancellation and curtailment, medical,
baggage, money and emergency evacuation back home; imported beverages; gratuities to guides and to staff; any excursion not related to the safari (e.g. Hot Air Ballooning, a day trip to Amboseli and its related Park fees etc); costs of photographing Maasai villagers (around US$10 per person); cost of spa treatments and any Kenyan National Park fees or conservancy levies.
18. In the event of any safari being rendered impossible, illegal or inadvisable by weather, strike, war, government or interference or any other cause whatsoever, the extra expenses incurred as a result thereof shall be the responsibility of the guest.
19. The Group may at its discretion, and without liability or cost to itself at any time, cancel or terminate the guest’s booking, and in particular, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, it shall be entitled to do so in the event of the illness or the illegal or incompatible behaviour of the guest, who shall in such circumstances not be entitled to any refund.
20.The person making any booking will, by the making of such booking, warrant that he or she has authority to enter into a contract on behalf of the other person/s included in such a booking and in the event of the failure of any or all of the other persons so included to make payment, the person making the booking shall by his/her signature thereof assume personal liability for the total price of all bookings made by him/her.
21. Consent: The payment of the deposit OR any other partial payment for a reservation on a safari constitutes consent by all guests covered by that payment to all provisions of the conditions and general information contained in our brochure / website whether the guest has signed the booking form or not. The terms under which the guest agrees to these safaris cannot be changed or amended except in writing signed by an authorised director of the Company.
22. Photography: The Group reserves the right without further notice to make use of any photograph or film taken on the safari with guests by our staff or photographers without payment or permission. We guarantee that no photographs of a compromising nature will be used.
23. Changes: Although every effort is made to adhere to schedules, it should be borne in mind that the Group reserves the right, and in fact is obliged, to occasionally change routines as dictated by changing conditions.
24. Insurance: It is a condition of booking, that the sole responsibility lies with the guests to ensure that they carry the correct comprehensive travel and medical insurance to cover themselves, as well as any dependants/travelling companions. This insurance should include cover in respect of, but not limited to, the following eventualities: cancellation or curtailment of the safari, emergency evacuation expenses, medical expenses, repatriation expenses, damage/theft/loss of personal baggage, money and goods. The company, their representatives, employees and agents, will take no responsibility for any costs, losses incurred or suffered by the guest, or guest’s dependants or travelling companions, with regards to, but not limited to, any of the abovementioned eventualities. Guests will be charged directly by the relevant service providers for any emergency services they may require, and may find themselves in a position unable to access such services should they not be carrying the relevant insurance cover.
25. Air charters: Please note that we subcontract the flying services to independent charter operations and they are responsible for the flying. There is a daily flight schedule into and out of our camps from the respective regional airports in Botswana and Kenya. Guests can also arrange direct charters from these airports to our camps at an additional costs should they wish to travel in this fashion.
26. Delays: We cannot be held liable for any delays or additional costs incurred as a result of airlines not running to schedule.
27. To the best of our knowledge the information on this website and in our brochures and publicity material is correct on this date. We cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies or changes that may occur hereafter.